Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Ninety years

Before 1920, women could not vote in every state in the United States. Women have only claimed their right to full citizenship in this country for ninety short years. I hope that all who are reading this did not take that right and privilege for granted this year!

In this image, Alice Paul is sewing a final star to a banner. Each star represents a state that ratified the Nineteenth Amendment to our Constitution, finally granting women the right to vote across the nation. I know that this doesn't have much to do with the subject matter of this blog, but I figured that since this picture depicts historical costume and has sewing in it, you all would forgive me.

To learn more about women's suffrage, I recommend checking out the film Iron Jawed Angels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind? Have a topic you'd like me to look into? Need help with a project? Ideas or thoughts you'd like to share? I'd love to hear from you!