Saturday, July 25, 2009

DIY Couture: Instant sundress


"Bring your desires down to your present means. Increase them only when your increased means permit."
- Aristotle

Yesterday I desired a sundress. I did not have a sundress in my closet. My means did not permit me to procure a sundress. What's a girl to do?? Then I saw it... the blue three-tiered skirt with the elastic waistband that I've had for a couple of years now. I like this skirt because it is comfy and full, but the thick elastic waistband was not terribly flattering and I never seemed to have the right thing to wear with it. So yesterday was the day that the skirt became the sundress! This is an insanely easy way to recycle an old wardrobe piece into something new and fun.

If you have a good strapless bra that you like to wear or you're fortunate enough not to need a bra, all you need to do to turn a skirt with an elastic waistband into a sundress is hike the waist up over your breasts and put a sash or belt around your waist.

I, however, don't do strapless without a serious foundation garment. So, I simply opened up the side seams on the top tier to make armholes. I slapped on a belt, in a moment of inspiration (or lunacy, you be the judge!) I turned the belt buckle to the back to add a little interest. I slapped on a brooch and--voila!-- I'm ready for my husband to take me out to dinner. Now, if only finding a babysitter was this easy...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind? Have a topic you'd like me to look into? Need help with a project? Ideas or thoughts you'd like to share? I'd love to hear from you!