Sunday, November 29, 2009

Victorian Ball



Last night I was able to attend my first Grand Victorian Ball since before I had my children. I was a wonderful evening full of costumes, dancing, friends, laughter, and lemonade. Getting my ballgown done in time was a little stressful, but I got it done and was overall very happy with the results. (But I won't lie... there were definitely several safety pins where hooks, bars, and snaps were supposed to be!)

I did have a dilemma with my hair since mine is much to short to be Victorian. Rather than wear a wig, I decided to try to pass mine off as best as possible by pin-curling most of it and styling the front into a pompadour. I added in some jeweled hairpins and a sort of fascinator and I felt very pleased with the effect.


If you think period costumed gatherings might be an adventure you would like to try, the Social Daunce Irregulars, Friends of the Engilsh Regency, Victorian Tea & Dance Society, Mikal Sandoval's Speakeasy, and Club Cicada are just a few of the many options available to folks living in the Los Angeles area.

2 comments:

  1. Lindsey, I love your costume! The frills, the skirt - divine! Hmm I feel like there would be something similar here, I should check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Lovely colors, not only for you, but for December as well. Just curious....what did you stuff the "bum" with?

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Have a topic you'd like me to look into? Need help with a project? Ideas or thoughts you'd like to share? I'd love to hear from you!